Sunday, August 12, 2007

Python(esque) humour.

I have to admit that a Pythonesque post on 'pumuckl's' blog sent me off on this tangent!

British Comedy is so much more subtle that the American variety, which is often slapstick style (Though movies like 'Porky's', 'Airplane' - AKA 'Flying High' are hilarious).

And the Pythons represent the genre so well (arguably are a genre of their own!).

There's probably the most famous - 'The Parrot Sketch'.

My personal favourite - 'The Four Yorkshiremen'.

And then there's the team 'taking the piss' out of we Aussies, in the 'Bruces' sketch. (All the more memorable because as a young trainee tech our appy course adopted the Philosophers song as our course song).

"Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.

David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, [some versions have 'Schopenhauer and Hegel']

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist.
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.

Plato, they say, could stick it away--
Half a crate of whisky every day.

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle.
Hobbes was fond of his dram,

And René Descartes was a drunken fart.
'I drink, therefore I am.'

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker,
But a bugger when he's pissed."

Life. Far too important to be taken too seriously!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Voegtli said...

Good Morning to you (at least here it is morning, and very early). I did indeed enjoy Pumuck'ls Monty Python post.

Next week sometimes, I will include your blog (as mentioned before) in my favorite list and also make an introduction post.

Cheers! I say this because in 7 days I will taste some Cooper's beer which my colleagues have homebrewed. In Darfur!!

Saturday, August 18, 2007 1:19:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peter, and Thanks.

I've also homebrewed 'Coopers'. Dark Ale in my case is the favourite.

Homebrewing is quite big in Oz.
There are also plenty of what we call 'boutique' breweries catering to the beer appreciation squad.

Little Creature's Pale Pilsener being very good :-)

You might like the following website?
http://www.internationalbeershop.com.au/index.asp

For something quite different, non alcoholic, I like Chinotto (Italian soft drink). Somewhat an acquired taste, but I like it.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 6:21:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home