Sunday, August 05, 2007

Found another great blog.

Found another great blog (via C's blog) - Worldman. He and pumuckl are both Swiss.

I confess to having a soft spot for the Swiss. Their political system as it has evolved being the major point of interest. That and the observation that they have very little in the way of natural resources or advantages going for them, yet have one of the highest standards of living, quality of life, and most free political systems in the world. All while surrounded by potential invaders, and a less than benign climate and environment.

"Of all the neutrals, Switzerland has the greatest right to distinction....She has been a democratic State, standing for freedom in self-defence among her mountains, and in thought, in spite of race, largely on our side." Winton Churchill, 1944.

Machiavelli observed the Swiss are 'most armed and most free' thanks to their militia system.

All in all, a model to study, critically, and to learn from.

First of August (just gone) is their national day - something like Australia Day for us, or July the 4th for the Americans.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Voegtli said...

Hello Phil. That is a surprise. To find a friend of Pumuckl so far away. And thank you for the publicity. I glanced through your blog and I am "afraid" it will soon hit my "favorite blogs" list. I was tickled by some of your posts. There are millions of blogs in this world. Some are just dead wood. I have my "regular" visitors and from time to time somebody shows up who is worthwhile. So with you I have now two Australians in the "game". That is good. You will find the other one in my favorites: Midlife - A journey.

I wish you a pleasant day

Peter

Sunday, August 05, 2007 2:06:00 pm  
Blogger pumuckl said...

great that u guys hooked up ;-)

thnx for ur lovely birthday wishes! all the best to u - glad to see you posting again so actively!

Monday, August 06, 2007 2:37:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home