Sunday, August 31, 2008

How do you pick the right person for the job?

I've been in the position a few times in my working life when I've had to interview, either alone or as part of a panel, applicants for jobs. Not an easy thing to get right, but after a while, you learn to 'read' the CV/resume, and also that your hunches and instincts are worth listening to.

I won't get to vote on who becomes President and VP of the United States, but I do know who I would vote for. Who, and on what basis I would choose them for the job.

Who? Lets first discuss how I'd evaluate them.

First, actions speak louder than words, have they had similar jobs in the past? How did they do? If this job has more responsibility, can they 'grow into' the job.

Secondly, when you interview them, do they tell you what they think you want to hear, or do they give you the full story, warts and all. Do they have principles? Do they freely admit their past mistakes and shortcomings?

Do they have some new ideas, or at least some guidelines and principles that would steer them through their work?

And lastly, what impression do they leave? What is your gut feeling? (Because that is often your subconscious summation of all of the above - and in my experience, FAR more important than how their resume reads).

So, based on that, how would I vote in the coming US election?

John McCain. Even more so since the choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate.

Obama gives a good speech, is good at telling an audience what it wants to hear, but his track record shows no experience that indicates he is ready for the job he has applied for.

More to come.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Voegtli said...

I have been interviewing, hiring (and firing) people too, since many years. And the gut feeling is definititely an important factor. Seldom it failed me.

Monday, September 01, 2008 3:23:00 am  
Blogger pumuckl said...

thing is, you usually hire people for a job that you know about.

electing a president is chosing someone for a job that actually everyone just thinks s/he knows about.

also, while I have not made up my mind yet, I don't think that "experience" should be over-emphasised... it would close the door for too many young and talented people.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:59:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home