Friday, January 25, 2008

This Friday's Fat Jet(s)

More Fat Jet fotos from Alex;

The telephoto effect compresses the depth perception. It's not all that close to the people and equipment. Interesting view of a C-17 with 'it all hanging out' though. (No. 4 has just been 'delivered').
They are an impressive beast. At over 70 tonnes payload, they can carry 4 to 5 times the load a Herc can. 18 463L pallets. Would have been very handy to have just after the Tsunami - but our Hercs and crews did sterling service then anyway.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Voegtli said...

I love these "beasts". When I came to Sudan there were quiet a lot of AN124 around here. And today there is a still a big number of IL76's.

One question: I see "Royal Australian Air Force" painted on the plane. I knew about the commonwealth and other post "British Empire" setups. Does this mean that Her Majesty is the head of state of Australia? This question shows that for certain things I am ignorant.

I have given you an award. On my blog you will find the story.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 2:22:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peter, and Thank you for the award.

Yes, Queen Elizabeth II is the 'Queen of Australia' (as well as of Canada, NZ, and quite a few other places).

It's a complicated arrangement, as the Monarch is 'approved' (for want of a better word) by Parliament. The real reserve powers are in fact held by the Governor General, who is selected by Parliament. In reality, niether the Monarch or Britain has any say in australia's affairs (nor that of Canada, NZ or most other 'Commonwealth' countries I think)

(I can feel a blog post on the subject coming on - Thanks Pete).

Sunday, January 27, 2008 3:08:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home